Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"For I am Costanza....

Lord of the idiots!"

I think I own the only Jeep that is not four-wheel drive. Not only is it not four-wheel drive, it is not front-wheel drive. Not a big deal, usually.

We got about 3 inches of snow here on Sunday, and then about another 10th of an inch of ice Sunday night and Monday morning. Our driveway was covered, and very slippery. Yesterday afternoon, I thought I'd try to get my car out, just to see how the driveway was. Bad idea! I got stuck in the driveway, just outside the garage. It took a bunch on rocking to get it back in the garage.

Today, school was cancelled again due to the condition on the secondary roads. Good thing - our driveway was still covered in ice. Rosalee came to clean around 10:00, and said her husband's truck had no problem getting up the drive. She said all the other roads were clear. Mom had an appointment to get her car serviced in C'ville at 1:00, so I thought I'd better try the driveway again. Bad idea! (are you getting the theme, here?) I got my car backed out of the garage, but my wheels started spinning almost as soon as I got the car backed out and turned toward the road. I was stuck - couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. So, I put the car in park, thinking I would give the sun and rising temps about an hour to do their work before I tried to move the car again.

45 minutes later, I go outside to try to move the car, and it's moved itself! Slid right down the driveway, turned sideways, and is now resting at the end of the driveway (just off the road) with the rear wheels in the bushes! Rosalee came to the window, and was in shock. I came in and told mom, who also came to the window to look. Mom expressed disbelief that the car slid, but Rosalee saw where I left it originally. Now, I not only have to get my car off the driveway, but out of the bushes.

We have nothing to help with traction - no sand, no icemelt, nothing. Rosalee found a bag of potting soil, so I started throwing it under my back wheels. After much spinning of wheels and throwing of dirt, I got the car out of the bushes. (We now have a HUGE rut in the yard to repair) I still had ice to deal with, and my car was not cooperating. For every inch I nudged forward, I would slide back 5. I was in danger of sliding right into the road. I get out the potting soil again, and throw it under the rear wheels. 15 minutes later - I'm back on dry pavement, and my car is parked.

By this time, it's 11:45, and mom needs to leave for her car appointment. She has front-wheel drive, which doesn't mean a whole lot on ice. But now we have potting soil on the driveway, and more traction! We get in her car, and make it down to the road without much difficulty. As Rosalee said, all the other roads are just fine.

By the time we got back from the appt in C'ville, the driveway was completely melted and dry.


"But suddenly, a new contender has emerged..."

No comments: