Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fifteen

Yep - I'm slack. Completely missed the 20-day mark. Oh well, so it goes.

We are SOL testing this week, which means the schedule is just crazy. We only have 3 classes each day, and each class is 2 hours long. Gak. Some days (like today) that's OK - I have my planning for 2 hours at the end of the day. Sweet. Other days, like Friday, Monday, and Tuesday coming up - I get no break at all. Not sweet. I also get to see my Resource class for 2 hours today. I have a hard time getting them to be productive for 45 minutes each day, now I have to ask them to work on something (anything!!) for 2 hours. I'm hoping some of them (the seniors especially) decide to take the day off so I don't have to fight with them. I talked with one of my seniors (who is never out) and he said he has some movies which are 'government related.' Should be interesting....

This morning, one of the new teachers in the building was approached by an assistant ptb. He actually came to her door, and and did the finger crook at her. She went in the hall, and he told her that students were checking out because "Mrs. __________ isn't teaching anything today anyway." (She teaches a non-SOL science course - usually populated by juniors and seniors) She let him know that she was, indeed, teaching today and those students were lying. They have an exam they are preparing for. She also told him she was offended that the ptb would believe she would not be teaching/reviewing. Then, the head ptb came by to try to smooth her ruffled feathers - telling her they were checking in with all teachers, making sure they were not telling students to go ahead and check out because no instruction would be happening. Yeah - he lied. No one has checked with me, or anyone else that I know of. She told him she was still offended. As she put it to him, "I've heard all the announcements for the last week or so, informing students that teaching and activities would still be taking place, and they are to be in school."

Sheesh...

No comments: