Saturday, April 14, 2007

Called a bluff

Tom, my co-worker and weight-watcher buddy, knows everyone and everything. At work, we tend to do a little eye-rolling when he name drops or expounds on a myriad of subjects. I've said I take much of what he says with a grain of salt. Now, he's a smart guy, and I don't doubt he knows a lot of people I don't know, but it's hard to believe everything he says.

A few weeks ago, I happened to mention to the hall-duty group I needed to look into getting a new car - one with front-wheel drive for starters, and one that got better gas mileage. Tom said,"Jim Price is a personal friend of mine, and he can get you into a Hyundai at $100 over cost." Yeah, OK. The next day, Tom brought in some brochures, and said he'd talked with Jim about letting me test drive a car. I said sure - I'd like to test drive a car sometime. That'd be great.

Today, after our weigh-in (down 22 pounds, btw), I followed Tom to the car dealership. Not only do I get to test drive a 2007 Accent, I get to keep it over the weekend! They bolted on a dealer tag, filled up the tank (yeah, that's right - filled up the tank), and said "See ya Monday evening." Ok, so maybe the guy does know the owner of the dealership. So, if Tom was telling the truth about the test drive, maybe I really can get a new car at almost cost. Hmmmm....

BTW - the car is pretty sweet.

2 comments:

Good2BDave said...

Its no Forenza



its aight

MB said...

Hey, it has 32 miles on it - and a FREE full tank.

And I believe that's Firenza (with an i, not an o) - you 6-year-plan person! Get it right.