Saturday, October 28, 2006

I had an interesting week. I received an invitation to a baby shower for a colleague who is in a lesbian relationship. Her partner is expecting in late November, so we all got together to throw them a shower. Now, they are registered at Target, so I ventured out to buy a gift from the registry. Here's the problem - The gift registry gives the option of searching via the mother or the father's name. I didn't, at the time, know the pregnant partner's name (whom I would assume would be listed as 'mother'). What to do, what to do? I hesitated, then finally touched 'Father' on the screen. Of course, the female name I typed in did not appear in the database for fathers. Along comes a red-clad, helpful Target associate. After a brief discussion of options, we chose 'Mother' and typed in the name I knew. Voila!

The shower was lovely, and the couple is ecstatic about the imminent arrival.

No comments: